Today’s recipe is ‘Vegetable Dum Biryani’. There are many varieties of biryani popular in India, vegetable biryani is one of them. Biryani is favourite and hit among every age group, it is a delicious way to add vegetables to your kid’s diet as well as your 😛 . You can serve vegetable biryani as a main course dish with raita.
For vegetable dum biryani, you will need – basmati rice, paneer cubes, curd, tomato puree, vegetables of your choice like cauliflower, carrots, potatoes, green peas, and capsicum, and spices. I am sharing step by step method from onion caramelisation to layering.
You can share your re-creation of this recipe or any other recipe from Rasoi Recipe. You can share it on the Facebook page or directly email it to me on email@example.com. I would love to hear from you guys. If you have any suggestions or if you want to share your views or appreciation, you can leave your message in the comment section below.
Ingredients for Vegetable Dum Biryani
|Cauliflower||1 (small sized)|
|Capsicum||3-4 (medium sized)|
|Green peas||3/4 cup|
|Green chillies||3-4 or as per taste|
|Onion||2 (finely chopped)|
|Ginger garlic paste||2 tsp|
|Paneer cubes||15-20 (small cubes)|
|Mint leaves||15-20 leaves|
|Coriander leaves (chopped)||3 Tbsps|
|Cumin seeds||1/2 tsp|
|Red chilli powder||1 tsp or as per taste|
|Salt||as per taste|
|Turmeric powder||1 tsp|
|Coriander powder||1 tsp|
|Biryani powder||2-3 tsp|
|Water||as required for boiling water|
|Black peppercorn||4-5 no.|
|Salt||2 tsp or as per taste|
|Lemon juice||juice of medium sized 1/2 lemon|
|Cinammon stick||small stick|
|For onion caramelisation -|
|Onion||3-4 (finely sliced)|
Method for Vegetable Dum Biryani
Slice onion finely. In a pan/kadhai heat oil on medium flame. Add onion in the pan, add 1/4 tsp salt. On a very low flame, cook onion. Stir occasionally. To get perfect caramelisation fry until golden brown on very low flame.
For vegetable gravy/masala –
1. Wash and chop vegetables into small pieces. Keep aside. (I have used potatoes(2), carrots(1 large), peas (3/4 cup), capsicum(3-4 medium) and cauliflower (1 small flower).)
2.Stir-fry paneer cubes (15-20) until golden brown.
3. Now, one by one start stir frying all the vegetables. Keep aside.
4. In the same pan, add ghee when ghee melts, add cumin seeds, star anise, black cardamom, cloves, green cardamom, cinnamon stick, bay leaf and black peppercorn.
5. Add finely chopped onion (2) in the oil. Saute for few seconds.
6. Next, add ginger garlic paste and cook till raw smell fades away.
7. When ginger garlic paste is cooked, add chopped green chillies, mint leaves coriander leaves and all the vegetables, paneer cubes.
8. Now, according to your taste add red chilli powder, salt, turmeric powder 3/4 tsp, biryani powder 2 tsp, coriander powder 1 tsp, mix well.
9. In the mix, now add puree of 2 tomatoes. Mix well.
10. Lastly, add 1/2 cup curd and 1/2 cup water. Cook for 3-4 mins on low flame.
11. Masala is ready, add caramelised onion in the gravy, mix well.
1. Wash and soak 400 gms basmati rice/any rice variety for 1/2 hr.
2.In a deep large vessel, take water sufficient for boiling rice.
3. In the water, add black peppercorn, cloves, bay leaf, salt as per taste, and oil 1 tbsp.
4. When water starts boiling, add rice and 1/2 lemon juice.
5. Cover and cook until 3/4th done.
6. Strain water and keep rice aside.
1. In a deep vessel, start layering.
2.The first layer of rice then gravy, keep repeating this way until gravy is available. The top layer should be of rice.
3. On top layer spread caramelised onion and ghee. Sprinkle colour and milk mix on the biryani.
4. Cover and keep biryani on dum for 10 mins on low flame. (This is our way of keeping biryani on dum 😀 , 5 mins on high flame initially and then 10 mins on low flame.)
Garnish biryani with caramelised onion and serve hot with raita.