Happy Monday ! How are you all? Today’s recipe is ‘Veg Haleem’. Haleem needs no introduction in India at least. It is a very popular dish of south-east Asia. Main ingredients of this dish are lentils, wheat and meat. Today I am sharing veg haleem for all my vegetarian friends. This haleem is almost equivalent to meat haleem in taste, but of course for any non vegetarian nothing tastes like meat haleem. 😀 I insists everyone to try this one also(coming from a non vegetarian like me who loves meat haleem 😀 ), I am sure you will love it too.
In this version of haleem, soya granules are used as a replacement of meat. Haleem as every one knows is very high in its protein content, here soya granules will maintain protein content of this dish.We will prepare veg haleem in a pressure cooker. Traditionally, haleem is prepared in a large wide base vessel.
You can share your re-creation of this recipe or any other recipe from Rasoi Recipe on our Facebook page or directly mail it to me on firstname.lastname@example.org . I would love to hear from you guys. ?
Video format – Veg Haleem
Duration: 45-60 minutes (approx.)
Ingredients for Veg Haleem
Soya Granules 100 gm
Dalia / Broken wheat 200 gm
Broken Rice 50 gm
Masoor dal / Red Lentil 25 gm
Tuvar dal / Split red gram 25 gm
Moong Dal/ Split Green gram 25 gm
Urad dal / Split black gram 25 gm
Chana dal/ Split Bengal gram 50 gm
Tomato (chopped) 2 no.
Onion (chopped) 3 small-sized
Green chillies 10-12 nos.
Black peppercorn 7-8
Cinnamon stick 2″
Garlic 20-25 cloves
Red chilli powder 3 tsp
Turmeric 1 tsp
Salt as per taste
Coriander powder 2 tsp
Oil 3 tbsp
Water/ Vegetable stock 6 glasses / 1.25 ltr
Mint leaves 7-8
Lemon 1 for garnishing
Procedure for Veg Haleem
- First step in preparing veg haleem is to wash and clean lentils/pulses properly. keep them aside.
- Boil soya granules in a deep pan for 7-8 mins and rinse soya granules with cold water.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add onions, let onions turn golden brown in colour.
- In the mean time make a coarse paste of ginger, garlic and green chillies.
- Keep half quantity of golden brown onion aside.
- In the remaining onions add ginger, garlic and green chillies paste. Fry for 1-2 mins.
- Add red chillies, turmeric, coriander powder, salt and mix everything uniformly.
- In the above masala, add soya granules, saute well for 1 min.
- Then add the whole spices like cinnamon stick, black peppercorn and cloves. Mix well.
- Add the cracked wheat, give it a uniform mix.
- In the above mix, add chopped tomatoes.
- Then add all the lentils and broken rice in the mix.
- In the next step, add water/ vegetable stock and mix well till all the ingredients mix properly.
- Close the lid and pressure cook for at least 30 mins. For the first 5 mins cook on high flame, for remaining next 25 mins cook on lower flame.
- Now let the pressure drop on its own, open the lid and check whether the lentils and wheat are soft enough to mash or blend.
- With the help of hand blender, blend haleem for 2-3 mins.
- Add mint leaves, brown onions and ghee in the haleem. Mix well.
- Garnish haleem with mint leaves, brown onions or lemon wedge. Veg haleem is ready to serve !
- You can add oats also in haleem.
- If you want smooth silky consistency, blend the haleem more.
- To make this dish more rich, add dry fruits in haleem.
- Quantity of water is double the amount of total quantity of lentils, wheat and rice. This is the perfect ratio to add water.