Today’s recipe is ‘Thalipeeth’. It is a flatbread/pancake which is made of a mix of healthy flours. It is a very popular recipe from Maharashtra. The dough for it is prepared from a flour of legumes, grains, spices and vegetables. It is a healthy and nutritious recipe, which can be enjoyed in all three meals. You can serve it with chutney/raita/curry.
For this recipe, you will require – flour (mix of ), grated bottle gourd, chopped onion, coriander, green chillies, and spices. In Maharashtra, readymade flour is easily available in the market. If you want, you can also add green leafy vegetables to the dough.
For more paratha or poori recipes, check – Bathua Multigrain Poori | Chenopodium Puri Recipe, Palak Puri | How to prepare spinach puri, Methi Thepla Recipe (Gujarati methi thepla), Paneer Paratha (Cottage cheese stuffed paratha), Paneer Baida Roti (cottage cheese & egg parcel), Mooli Thepla | Radish Flatbread- How to make methi thepla
You can share your re-creation of this recipe or any other recipe from Rasoi Recipe. You can share it on Facebook page or directly mail it to me on email@example.com . I would love to hear from you guys. If you have any suggestions or if you want to share your views or appreciation, you can leave your message in the comment section below.
Duration: 30 mins
Ingredients for Thalipeeth
|Wheat flour+Rice flour+Jowar flour+Bajri flour+ Besan / Gram dal flour + Urad dal flour||200 gms|
|Grated bottle gourd / Lauki||1 cup|
|Coriander leaves (chopped)||2-3 Tbsps|
|Onion (chopped)||1 (medium)|
|Green chillies||2-3 (large) or as per taste|
|Red chilli powder||1 tsp or as per taste|
|Salt||as per taste|
|Coriander powder||1 tsp|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 tsp|
|Sesame seeds (Til)||1 tsp|
|Cumin seeds (Jeera)||1 tsp|
|Carom seeds (Ajwain)||1 tsp|
|Water||for smooth soft dough|
Method for Thalipeeth
- In a deep vessel, take flour mix, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt, coriander powder, cumin seeds, sesame seeds and carom seeds. Mix well.
- Next, add grated bottle gourd, chopped coriander leaves, green chillies and chopped onion.
- In the flour mix, add oil, mix well.
- Prepare a pliable soft dough with the help of water. Add water in small batches.
- Wet a cloth to flatten dough easily. Squeeze and remove excess water from the cloth.
- On the wet cloth take a small dough ball.
- Flatten the dough in chapati shape with fingers. Use water to spread dough easily.
- Make three-four holes on the dough.
- Heat tawa and spread little oil on it.
- Next, lift the wet muslin cloth and carefully place it on the tawa with the thalipeeth side touching the tawa. Now, gently pull the muslin cloth, without breaking the dough.
- Pour oil into the holes. This helps in the perfect cooking of thalipeeth.
- Cover the thalipeeth and cook on medium flame.
- When the bottom side is golden brown and perfectly cooked, flip thalipeeth to the other side.
- Cook thalipeeth from both side nicely.
- Repeat this method for remaining dough also.
- Serve hot thalipeeth hot with any chutney of your choice.