Today’s recipe is ‘Paneer Chilla’. This recipe is a very healthy and nutritious recipe of lentil pancake which is stuffed with cottage cheese. It is basically moong dal chilla which is stuffed with spiced paneer/cottage cheese. I have already shared moong dal chilla recipe on the blog. Moong dal chilla recipe is available here.
Hey foodies ! Today’s recipe is ‘Moong Dal Chilla’. This is healthy and nutritious pancake recipe. You can have moong dal chilla for breakfast or as a tea time snack.Serve the pancakes with green chutney or tomato ketchup. For this you need whole green gram lentils (powdered), green chillies garlic paste, cumin powder, salt and whole spice powder.
Moong Dal Chilla
Hello foodies ! Today’s recipe is ‘Moong Dal Halwa’. This is another rich and delicious dish from my homeland, Rajasthan. This dessert is generally made on auspicious occasion like festivals and weddings. It is a creamy and mouth melting dessert made with split moong dal.
The twist in this recipe is that in traditional recipe dal is soaked overnight, but for this recipe we will use a damp cloth to rub and clean dal gently. By not soaking dal overnight we will reduce cooking time of the dish. This dessert requires a long time and continuous stirring but trust me the outcome is worthy of your time and patience.
For all those who are new to halwa recipes, let me explain it to you in simple words,
Halwa means sweet confection, it is of two types : nut based and flour based. Nut based halwa is crumbly and generally made from nut, butter/ghee and sugar, on the other hand flour based halwa are gelatinous in texture and made from grain or pulses flour, ghee and sugar.
For more dessert recipes you can check Mango Basundi (Aam ki Basundi) Easy Eggless Chocolate Cake Coconut Laddoo (Nariyal ke laddoo) .
You can share your re-creation of this recipe or any other recipe from Rasoi Recipe on our Facebook page or directly mail it to me on firstname.lastname@example.org . I would love to hear from you guys. 🙂
Duration: 2 hrs 30 minutes
Ingredients for moong dal halwa
Split moong dal (green gram split) 250 gm
Ghee 200 gm
Elaichi/Cardamom powder 1 tsp
Dry fruits (chopped almonds, raisins and coconut) small bowl full
Besan/Gram flour 2 tbsp
Saffron strands 8-9 no.
Sugar 200 gm
Orange color a pinch
Procedure for moong dal halwa
- Clean moong dal by rubbing gently with the help of damp cloth. Keep it aside for 10-15 minutes and let it dry.
Clean moong dal
- In a mixer make coarse moong dal powder without any water. Keep it aside.
- Use non stick-pan for this recipe, in a deep pan heat ghee, add elaichi powder and cook for few seconds.
- Add the moong dal powder and besan, cook on a medium flame till yellow moong dal changes its color into golden brown color, while stirring it continuously. Do not over roast the moong dal.
- Add saffron strands, dry fruits and orange color mix well.
- Add milk in the mix and keep on stirring it, while continuously stirring it. Remember this dessert need a long time to cook, you will feel that the paste is getting thicker in consistency and you need more effort to stir your mix.
- Add sugar and cook on a medium flame till ghee separates from halwa, while continuously stirring it. This whole procedure took me more than 2 hours to cook.
- Moong dal halwa is ready to serve. Garnish it with dry fruits. Serve it warm.
You can store it in an air-tight container and refrigerate it for weeks.
Cookery is not chemistry. It is an art. It requires instinct and taste rather than exact measurements.