Today’s recipe is ‘Sweet Boondi’. This is one of my favorite desserts. Sweet boondi is famous in North India, when slightly mash, this same recipe can be used for motichoor/boondi laddoo. You can serve this dessert as a festive sweet.
It is a very easy to prepare. Boondi is very famous in India, there are two types of boondi one which is used for raita or namkeen and second is sweet/meethi boondi. For sweet boondi, boondi is prepared in same way as namkeen boondi, in the end, boondi is dipped in a sugar syrup.
Sweet boondi is prepared in three colors, but if you do not have edible colors at home, you can prepare it in single or two colors also. Main ingredients require for sweet boondi are – Boondi – Gram flour/ besan, water, and oil, Sugar syrup- water, cardamom, and sugar. For preparing boondi, you need a spoon which is perforated with small holes.
You can share your re-creation of this recipe or any other recipe from Rasoi Recipe. You can share it on Facebook page or directly email it to me on email@example.com. I would love to hear from you guys. If you have any suggestions or if you want to share your views or appreciation, you can leave your message in the comment section below.
Yield: 200 gms
Duration: 50 mins
Ingredients for Sweet Boondi
|Besan/gram flour||2 cups|
|Water||2 cups or as required|
|Edible colors- red,yellow,green||1/8 tsp or 3-4 drops|
|For sugar syrup|
Method for Sweet Boondi
- In a big bowl, take two cups gram flour.
- In small batches, add water to make a batter of pouring consistency. (By adding water in small batches lump formation in batter can be avoided.) For my batter, I have added two cups of water.
- Once you get the correct consistency, continuously beat the batter for 4-5 minutes. Add 2 Tsp of oil, mix well.
- Divide batter in three batches, add edible colors (yellow, green and red) in three batters. Let the batter rest for 10-15 mins.
- In the meantime, prepare sugar syrup by cooking water and sugar together.
- When the syrup starts boiling, check the consistency of syrup by checking it in between the fingers. If you feel syrup sticky, then it is ready.
- Heat oil in a deep thick bottomed pan.
- For boondi preparation, you will need a perforated spoon.
(Note: you need a medium temperature of the oil, not too high not too low. If the temperature is low then boondi starts settling on the bottom, the high temperature will burn boondi.)
- Start frying boondi, one color at a time.
- Pour batter into the spoon, tap the spoon lightly.
- You will start seeing small droplets of batter falling from the holes into the oil. Let the boondi cook for 15-20 seconds.
- Remove boondi from the oil, add it to the sugar syrup directly. Mix well.
- Once the yellow color batter is over, wash the spoon and dry it completely, start frying next color same way as the yellow color boondi.
- Keep adding boondi after frying into the sugar syrup, mix well.
- Fry all colors one by one, mix boondis well with sugar syrup.
- Cover the boondis and let the boondi absorb sugar syrup for 15-20 mins.
- After 15-20 mins, add roasted melon seeds and chopped pistachios in the sweet boondi. Mix well.
- Serve hot!
- You can store boondi in the refrigerator for a week.
- Sweet boondi tastes best when served hot.