Sookhe Kale Chane is a very tasty and healthy Indian side dish. You can have this dish for snack or breakfast also. It is tangy and spicy dish, which is quite easy to prepare. I am sure you all will enjoy this dish, serve it with hot chapati or roti or poori.
This is a dry dish, you can pack this in your kid’s tiffin box. In my family, we have this recipe for breakfast quite often. I love having kala chana with out pooris or roti. Just drizzle some lemon juice and garnish with chopped onion and enjoy this healthy dish. For this recipe you need to soak black chickpeas overnight.
Few health benefits of Kala chana (black chickpeas) are :
- They are full of soluble and insoluble fibres, which is why they aids in weight loss.
- They are good for heart as they contains a considerable amount of folate and magnesium.
- Their low glycemic index makes them good food to stabilize blood sugar levels.
- Very good source of Iron. If you are anaemic they are one of the best food to have.
- For people who takes diet rich of protein, they can include this protein rich lentil in their healthy diet.
You can share your re-creation of this recipe or any other recipe from Rasoi Recipe. You can share it on Facebook page or directly mail it to me on firstname.lastname@example.org . I would love to hear from you guys. If you have any suggestions or if you want to share your views or appreciation, you can leave your message in the comment section below.
Duration: 30 minutes (cook time) 6-8 hours (soaking time)
Ingredients for Sookhe Kale Chane
|Kala chana / Black Chickpeas||250 gms|
|Green chilli (chopped)||2|
|Ginger garlic paste||1 tsp|
|Jeera / Cumin seeds||1 tsp|
|Rai / Mustard seeds||1/2 tsp|
|Red chilli powder||1 tsp|
|Turmerc powder||1/2 tsp|
|Coriander powder||1.5 tsp|
|Coriander leaves (chopped)||for garnishing|
|Salt||1 tsp or as per taste|
Method for Sookhe Kale Chane
- Rinse well and soak kale chane (black chickpeas) overnight or for 6-8 hours at least.
- Strain water and keep the chickpeas aside.
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil. Add cumin seeds and mustard seeds, let them crackle.
- Then add the onions in the cooker, cook till onions becomes soft and translucent.
- Add chopped green chillies and ginger garlic paste, cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add chopped tomatoes in the cooker.
- Add the chickpeas and all the dry masalas in the cooker, mix well. Add one cup water and close the lid of pressure cooker.
- Cook for 20 minutes on medium heat. Let the pressure drop, check the chana, whether they are cooked completely or not. If they are tender and there is some water, cook till the water dries and oil starts appearing.
- Garnish the dish with chopped coriander and serve hot !