Hello my foodies friends ! Today’s recipe is ‘Sabudana Vada’. It is a deep-fried snack which is made from sabudana/sago. In Maharashtra this is second most common vada dish after Aloo vada / vada pav, there it is served with sweet curd (curd mix with sugar). After sabudana khichdi this is my second favourite sabudana dish. You can also have this dish during fast/vrat by replacing normal salt with black salt.
Sabudana Vada are crunchy from outside and soft from inside. They just melt in mouth and trust me that feeling is divine (at least for me :P) . Main ingredients of this dish are sabudana/sago, peanuts, potatoes. Preparation time of this dish more than its cooking time, as you need to soak sabudana for at least 4-5 hours. In winter season or during monsoon have sabudana vada as tea time snack.
You can share your re-creation of this recipe or any other recipe from Rasoi Recipe. You can share it on Facebook page or directly mail it to me on firstname.lastname@example.org . I would love to hear from you guys. If you have any suggestions or if you want to share your views or appreciation, you can leave your message in the comment section below.
For Maharashtrian recipes you can check Peanut Ladoo (two ingredients recipe) , Sabudana Khichdi (Vrat/fast recipe) , Bhel Puri (Mumbai Bhel Puri / Spicy Puffed Rice) , Koshimbir with Yogurt (Maharashtrian curd salad) , Aloo Vada (Potato dumpling/ Batata vada)
Duration: 5 hours (prep time) + 15 mins (cook time) = 5 hrs 15 mins (total time)
Ingredients for Sabudana Vada
|Sabudana/Sago/Tapioca pearls||1 cup|
|Peanuts/moongphali (roasted)||1/2 cup|
|Boiled potatoes/aloo||4 medium size|
|Salt||1 tsp as per taste|
|Sugar||1/2 tsp or as per taste|
|Green chillies / hari mirch (finely chopped)||3|
|Coriander leaves (dhania patta) (finely chopped)||2 tsp|
|Ginger/adarak (finely chopped)||1 tsp|
|Lime (nimbu) juice||2 tsp|
|Oil||for deep frying|
Procedure for Sabudana Vada
- Soak sabudana/ sago for at least 5 hrs. (Soak your sabudana according to your variety, mine take only 5 hours but some variety do take around 8 hrs.
- Check whether you need to soak for a longer time or your sabudana will take more time. Press sabudana in between your finger, if you can mash it easily, it is ready.
- Strain and keep them aside.
- While your sabudana are soaked, in the meantime, boil potatoes. Let the potatoes cool.
- In a pan roast peanuts, let them cool.
- Remove husk of peanuts and in a grinder make a coarse powder of peanuts.
- In a bowl, mash the potatoes.
- Add sabudana, roasted peanut powder, chopped green chillies, chopped ginger, salt, sugar and chopped coriander in the bowl.
- Mix everything well.
- Start preparing small balls with the above mixture, flatten them slightly, keep them aside.
- In a deep pan/kadhai heat oil, on a medium heat start frying vada till golden brown. Remove vadas on kitchen towel. Sabudana vadas are ready !
- Serve them hot with ketchup/sweet curd/green chutney or plain.