Today’s recipe is ‘ Rava Upma’. I am so happy to share this recipe, as this is my favourite breakfast recipe. Although I can have this dish anytime of the day, but it is usually served as a breakfast or snack recipe. It is a very popular recipe from South India. Do try this healthy recipe which is a kind of porridge which is made from semolina.
For this dish you will need following main ingredients, rava/semolina/sooji, ghee/oil, green peas, cashew nuts, coriander leaves, few spices and water. I have listed water in the main ingredients list because for a perfect upma, you need correct water:rava ratio. You can enjoy this recipe with coconut chutney or any chutney of your choice.
Everyone has different recipe for rava upma, this is my recipe you can share yours in the comment section below. You can share your re-creation of this recipe or any other recipe from Rasoi Recipe. You can share it on Facebook page or directly mail it to me on firstname.lastname@example.org . I would love to hear from you guys. If you have any suggestions or if you want to share your views or appreciation, you can leave your message in the comment section below.
Duration: 20 minutes
Ingredients for Rava Upma
|Green peas||1/4 cup|
|Coriander leaves (chopped)||2 Tbsp|
|Mustard seeds||1/2 tsp|
|Chana Dal||1/2 tsp|
|Urad dal||1/2 tsp|
|Salt||3/4 tsp or as per taste|
Method for Rava Upma
- If you are not using roasted semolina/sooji, roast for 3-4 mins first. Keep it aside. (you will start getting roasted fragrance from the semolina.)
- In a deep pan heat ghee.
- Add mustard seeds, chana dal and urad dal. Stir fry for 2-3 mins.
- Next add green peas and chopped ginger in the pan. Fry till green peas are fried well.
- Add chopped green chillies and cashew nuts.
- Next goes chopped coriander leaves and salt. Mix well. Stir fry for few seconds.
- In the pan now add roasted semolina. Mix well till all the ingredients blends well with each other.
- Lastly add 3 cups of water in the pan. Let it cook till all the water is absorbed by the semolina/sooji.
- Serve Upma immediately !