Rava Dosa is a variety of South Indian dosa. It is like pancake or crepe. Rava means semolina (english) or sooji (hindi).The best part about this variety is that it is instant. No fermentation is required for this dosa variety. You can serve it as snack or breakfast or main course. Batter for this dosa is of very thin consistency.
Semolina dosa needs no fermentation, all you need to do to prepare crisp dosas is to let the batter sit for at least 15 mins. The main ingredients for this dosa are semolina, rice flour and all-purpose flour (maida). To make it spicy you can add spices and green chillies. This recipe is of spicy rava dosa. Serve dosa with any chutney recipe of your choice.
You can share your re-creation of this recipe or any other recipe from Rasoi Recipe. You can share it on Facebook page or directly mail it to me on firstname.lastname@example.org . I would love to hear from you guys. If you have any suggestions or if you want to share your views or appreciation, you can leave your message in the comment section below.
Duration: 20 mins (prep time) + 30 mins (cook time) = 50 mins (total time)
Ingredients for Rava Dosa
|Rava/ Sooji/ Semolina||1 cup|
|Rice flour / Chawal ka atta||1/2 cup|
|Maida / All- purpose flour||1/4 cup|
|Green chillies (chopped)||3 -4|
|Black Peppercorn /Kali mirch (crushed)||1 tsp|
|Cumin seeds /Jeera||1 tsp|
|Ginger (grated)||1 tsp|
|Coriander leaves (chopped)||3 tbsp|
|Water||3 cups or as required|
|Salt||1 tsp or as per your taste|
|Oil||for shallow frying|
Method for Rava Dosa
- In a bowl take semolina, all purpose flour (maida) and rice flour.
- In the above mix add water, quantity of water will be according to variety of rava. I have added 2 cups of water in the mix to prepare the batter for my dosa. Dosa batter for rava dosa should be of thin consistency.
- Add salt, chopped coriander leaves, chopped green chillies, crushed black pepper, salt, grated ginger and cumin seeds. Mix well and keep it aside for at least 15 mins.
- Heat a non-stick tawa. Before you start preparing dosa stir the batter, everytime when you use batter for dosa stir the batter. Semolina/rava sets at the bottom of the bowl, that’s why it is important to stir batter well.
- There are two ways of preparing rava dosa: in the first method, you can spread the batter just like we prepare normal dosa or pancakes or crepe. The other way is to sprinkle the batter on the pan with your hands(I have used second way only to prepare my dosa). This second way can get little clumsy, if you are new in dosa making.
- While preparing dosas make sure you are spreading dosa at high flame. When you finish spreading batter, sprinkle oil on it, lower the flame and cook till dosa is crispy and golden brown from one side. (You will get netted dosa if you have perfect consistency of batter, first dosa is always a trial one, adjust consistency if you are not getting netted dosas.)
- Flip the dosa and cook for 2-3 mins. Your rava dosa is ready !
- Serve hot with any chutney of your choice or sambhar.
- Rava dosa takes more time to cook as compare to regular dosa.
- Do not forget to stir the batter, every time you prepare a new dosa. Adjust the consistency of the batter if it becomes thick.
- You can also add finely chopped onion in rava dosa batter.