Today’s recipe is ‘Rajma Masala’. Rajma is a very popular and favorite curry of north India, which is made of red kidney beans. Rajma chawal is one of the famous food combination of Indian cuisine. Other than rice, it goes well with all Indian chapati/naan/paratha varieties. It can be enjoyed as a main course dish for lunch and dinner. Rajma is a healthy bean which is full of protein.
This dish is prepared with onion, tomatoes, garlic-green chilies paste, and many spices. I have used small red kidney beans variety, you can use any other variety also. For preparing rajma, you need to soak it overnight or at least for 8 hours.
You can share your re-creation of this recipe or any other recipe from Rasoi Recipe. You can share it on the Facebook page or directly email it to me on email@example.com. I would love to hear from you guys. If you have any suggestions or if you want to share your views or appreciation, you can leave your message in the comment section below.
Duration: 40 mins (cook time) + 8 hours (soaking time)
Ingredients for Rajma Masala
|Rajma/Kidney beans||1 cup|
|Onion (finely chopped)||2 medium size|
|Tomato (chopped)||3 medium size|
|Green chillies||4-5 medium size or as per taste|
|Red chilli powder||1/2 tsp or as per taste|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 tsp|
|Coriander powder||2 tsp|
|Salt||as per taste|
|Crushed black pepper corn||1/4 tsp or as per taste|
|Garam masala/all spice powder||1/2 tsp|
|Coriander leaves (chopped)||2-3 Tbsp|
Method for Rajma Masala
- Wash and soak rajma for at least 8 hours.
- In a pressure cooker, cook rajma with 3-4 cups of water. Cook for 20-25 minutes. (My variety of rajma took 20-25 mins to cook, please cook according to your rajma.)
- When the pressure drops on it own, check whether rajma is done or not, by pressing one bean in between fingers. If beans are not tender, then pressure cook for more minutes by adding more water.
- In a deep pan heat oil.
- Add cumin seeds and mustard seeds, let them crackle.
- When cumin and mustard seeds start crackling, add chopped onion and let it turn golden brown.
- Add green chili-garlic-ginger paste in the pan. Let it cook till raw smell of ginger and garlic fades away.
- Next, add chopped tomatoes. Cook till tomatoes turn tender.
- In the cooked tomato and onion masala, add red chili powder, turmeric powder, crushed black peppercorn, and coriander powder. Mix well.
- Cook the masala till it starts releasing oil and is nicely cooked.
- When the masala is ready, add cooked rajma, do not add the rajma broth at this time. Mix well.
- When the rajma is nicely mixed with the masala, add rajma broth, salt, and garam masala.
- Let the curry boil, when you get your desired consistency (if not, add more water), switch off the flame and add chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve rajma masala immediately!