Today’s recipe is Rajasthani Shimla Mirch Besan. It is a simple and tempting dish from Rajasthan. For this recipe, all you need is gram flour, capsicum and few spices. Traditional recipe has green capsicum as the main ingredients, in this recipe, I am using all three colours of capsicum. Though you can use all three colours or only one colour of capsicum, it totally your choice. I hope you all will try this recipe at home as this recipe is a nice change from popular aloo-shimla mirch (potato-capsicum) combination.
You can share your re-creation of this recipe or any other recipe from Rasoi Recipe on our Facebook page or directly mail it to me on email@example.com . I would love to hear from you guys. If you have any suggestions or if you want to share your views or appreciation, you can leave your message in the comment section below.
For more Rajasthani dishes you can also check Moong Dal Halwa (with a twist) , Besan Ki Sabzi (from the land of Rajasthan) , Rajasthani Besan Gatte Ki Sabzi , Jhatpat ratlami sev paratha (sev stuffed paratha) , Sev ki sabzi (Ratlami sev ki sabzi) .
Duration: 30 minutes
Ingredients for Rajasthani Shimla Mirch Besan
Capsicum /shimla mirch/bell pepper (chopped) 6 medium size
(red, green and yellow colour)
Gram flour/besan/chickpea flour 3 tbsp
Oil 2 tbsp
Salt as per taste
Red chilli powder 1-1.5 tsp (heaped)
Turmeric 1/4 tsp
Amchoor/Dry mango powder 1 Tsp
Ajwain/Carrom seeds 1/4 Tsp
Hing/Asafoetida a pinch
Procedure for Rajasthani Shimla Mirch Besan
- Wash the bell peppers. De-seed and cut the capsicum into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a deep pan. Add chopped capsicum and let it cook until capsicum softens.
- In a bowl mix besan and all the masalas properly.
- Add this besan and spices mix in the pan.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or till besan changes its colour slightly and besan is nicely cooked. Keep in mind that when besan is overcooked it turns bitter in taste.
- Check the seasoning of the dish, adjust it if needed.
- Serve it hot with phulkas/chapatis.
Use of all three colours of capsicum is optional, traditionally this is dish is prepared by using green capsicum only.
“Laughter is brightest where food is best.”