Hello everyone! Today’s recipe is ‘Besan Gatte Ki Sabzi’ from the land of Rajasthan. It is one of rajasthani cuisine’s most famous dish . Let’s learn how to make this traditional dish.
You can share your re-creation of this recipe or any other recipe from Rasoi Recipe on our Facebook page or directly mail it to me on email@example.com . I would love to hear from you guys. If you have any suggestions or if you want to share your views or appreciation, you can leave your message in the comment section below. 🙂
For more Rajasthani dishes you can also check Moong Dal Halwa (with a twist) , Rajasthani shimla mirch besan , Besan Ki Sabzi (from the land of Rajasthan) , Jhatpat ratlami sev paratha (sev stuffed paratha) , Sev ki sabzi (Ratlami sev ki sabzi) .
Duration: 50 mins
Ingredients for Besan gatte ki sabzi
For the Gatte
Besan (Gram flour) 2 cups
Zeera (Cumin seeds) 1/2 tsp
Salt 1/2 tsp
Lal mirch powder (Red chili powder) 1/2 tsp
Haldi (Turmeric) 1/4 tsp
Ajwain (Carrom seeds) 1/4 tsp
Saunf (Fennel seeds) 1/4 tsp
Pudina (Dry Mint Leaves) 1/2 tsp
Oil 1 tbsp
For the Gravy
Onion (chopped) 2 medium size
Curd 3 tbsp
Lehsun (Garlic) 1 pod
Hari Mirch (Green chilies) 1 no.
Red Chili powder 1/2 tsp
Dhania Powder (Coriander Powder) 2 tsp
Haldi (Turmeric) 1/4 tsp
Hing (Asafoetida) a pinch
Salt as per taste
Oil 2 tbsp
Procedure for Besan gatte ki sabzi
- In a pan/bowl mix besan, all the dry ingredients and oil in it. Mix it well.
- Now add small amount of water in the pan and start kneading the mixture. Add more water if needed, be careful while adding water we do not want very hard or very soft dough.
- Once you get good consistency of dough with which it can be easily rolled, divide the dough in equal parts.
- Start rolling each part and make long cylindrical strips out of it.
- Boil sufficient amount of water and add cylindrical strips in it.
- Use a knife and check whether rolls/strips are properly done or not. If not done, boil some more.
- Once done, cut the strips in equal size pieces. These equal size pieces are called besan gatte. Keep the water for curry.
- For gravy, heat oil in a pan, now add zeera and mustard seeds in it. Let it start spluttering.
- Add chopped onion, crushed garlic and green chillies. Cook it till onion starts turning golden brown in color.
- Make a paste of all the dry spices.
- Add this paste in the pan and saute it for 3-4 mins.
- Now lower the flame and add curd in the pan.
- Once you see the oil separating from the mixture add besan gatte in it and cook it for sometime. Let the gattas blend with the masala.
- Add the water, which we used for preparing gatte, in the gatte and masala mixture.
- Let it simmer for 5-7 minutes on lower flame.
- Serve it hot with roti / paratha.
- You can prepare this gravy with tomato puree also, if you do not have curd at home.
A recipe has no soul. You, as the cook, must bring the soul to the recipe.