Hello foodies ! Today’s recipe is ‘Phirni’. It is a classic soothing Indian rice pudding. The best season to enjoy this dessert is summer, but as this is a festive season I am sharing this easy to prepare phirni recipe. Whenever you visit Mumbai, do try phirni from the famous ‘Muhammad Ali Road’. Traditionally phirni is allowed to set in an earthen ware and garnish with dry fruits, saffron or rose petals.
Today, phirni is so famous that even some restaurants serve this dessert. The core ingredient of this dish is grounded rice, which helps in setting of this dessert . Do try this classic Indian dish and let me know how it turned out for you.
This festive season you can also serve your guests any of these dessert recipe – Peanut Ladoo (two ingredients recipe) , Seviyan Kheer Recipe , Moong Dal Halwa (with a twist) , Easy Eggless Chocolate Cake , Coconut Laddoo (Nariyal ke laddoo)
You can share your re-creation of this recipe or any other recipe from Rasoi Recipe. You can share it on Facebook page or directly mail it to me on firstname.lastname@example.org . I would love to hear from you guys. If you have any suggestions or if you want to share your views or appreciation, you can leave your message in the comment section below.
Duration: 40 mins (prep time), 15 mins (cook time)
Ingredients for Phirni
Rice 100 gms
Milk 3 cups
Sweetened condensed milk 1/2 tin (200 gms)
Rose water 1 tsp
Cardamom/elaichi powder 1 tsp
Rose petals for garnishing
Almonds (chopped) for garnishing
Procedure for Phirni
- Soak rice for around 30 mins to 1 hour.
- Drain water and in a grinder make a paste of rice, size of rice grains should look like semolina.
- In a thick bottomed pan, heat milk for 2-3 mins and then add grounded rice in it. Stir the mix continuously to avoid lumps formation.
- Cook till rice is cooked, when rice is cooked, consistency of the mix starts thickening.
- Add condensed milk and remove the mix from the fire. Mix well.
- Add cardamom powder and rose-water. Mix well.
- Pour the phirni in serving bowls. Garnish bowls with rose petals and chopped almonds.
- Set and cool in a refrigerator.