Hi everyone ! Today’s recipe is ‘Pani Puri’. It is a very famous Indian street food, which needs no introduction. There are various names for this street food in India itself, some very common ones are – Pani puri, gol gappa, pani patashe, puchkas and gup chup. I love it and can have n number of puri, but I prefer homemade pani and therefore, my mom prepares pani at home. This again is my mother’s recipe. It is quick and easy one to prepare at home. You can store and refrigerate pani and have it on next day also. Ready-made puri is easily available in market these days.
Pani (sweet and tangy water) can be adjusted in flavour according to individual choice. Filling used for pani puri can be made in different ways. You can have boiled potatoes, sprouted boiled moong, boiled black chanas, boondi or ragda as your stuffing.
You can share your re-creation of this recipe or any other recipe from Rasoi Recipe on our Facebook page or directly mail it to me on firstname.lastname@example.org . I would love to hear from you guys. If you have any suggestions or if you want to share your views or appreciation you can leave your message in the comment section below. 🙂
Duration: 20 mins
Ingredients for Pani Puri
For pani recipe :
Water 1 ltr
Mint / pudina 1 cup
Green coriander/ hara dhania patta 1 cup
Green chillies 10-12 nos.
Lemon 1 no.
Tamarind chutney 2 cups
Chaat masala 1 tsp
Boondi 1/2 cup
Salt 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds/ Jeera 1 tsp
Black salt 1 tsp
Asafoetida/ Hing 2 pinches
Red chilli powder 1/2 tsp (as per your taste)
Black peppercorn 1/2 tsp
Carrom seeds /Ajwain 1/4 tsp
Citric acid 1/4 tsp
Puris 40-50 puris
Tamarind chutney 1 small bowl
Boondis (for stuffing) 1 big bowl
Procedure for Pani Puri
- In a grinder, grind mint leaves, green chillies, coriander leaves, black peppercorn, ginger, salt, lemon juice, citric acid, black salt, cumin seeds and carrom seeds. Make a paste and keep it aside.
- In big bowl or jug, take one litre water.
- Add the above paste in the water along with tamarind chutney and red chilli powder.
- Mix well and refrigerate for sometime for chilled pani puri, or you can have it immediately.
- People on diet can have baked pani puri.
- Boiled and sprouted stuffings are healthier options.
- You can add tamarind pulp and jaggery if you don’t have tamarind chutney.