Today’s recipe is ‘Mooli Thepla’. It is a flatbread/thepla which is made from mooli (white radish). Winter is the perfect season to enjoy parathas or thepla made from mooli as it is easily available on the market these days. Mooli thepla can be enjoyed as breakfast with pickle or during lunch/dinner. You can also pack it in the lunchbox for kids or yourself.
For this recipe, you will need – white radish(with or without leaves), wheat flour, and few spices which are easily available in the kitchen. Thepla in this recipe is fried with less oil, you can use it according to your preference. I have used mooli and leafy part both for my recipe.
For more paratha or poori recipes, check – Bathua Multigrain Poori | Chenopodium Puri Recipe, Palak Puri | How to prepare spinach puri, Methi Thepla Recipe (Gujarati methi thepla), Paneer Paratha (Cottage cheese stuffed paratha), Paneer Baida Roti (cottage cheese & egg parcel)
You can share your re-creation of this recipe or any other recipe from Rasoi Recipe. You can share it on the Facebook page or directly email it to me on email@example.com. I would love to hear from you guys. If you have any suggestions or if you want to share your views or appreciation, you can leave your message in the comment section below.
Duration: 1 hour
Ingredients for Mooli Thepla
|Mooli/White Radish with leaves (grated)||1 (large)|
|Wheat flour||300 gms|
|Carrom seeds/ajwain||1 tsp|
|Salt||as per taste|
|Red chilli powder||1 tsp or as per taste|
|Coriander powder||1 tsp|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 tsp|
|Green chillies (chopped)||3-4 (medium)|
|Oil||-1 tbsp for kneading dough
-for shallow frying as required
|Water||as required to knead dough|
Method for Mooli Thepla
- Wash and peel white radish. Grate radish in a pan, chop leaf roughly. In the grated white radish, add carrom seeds, and salt.
- Mix well. Keep the mix aside. This way radish starts releasing juice because of salt.
- Squeeze radish and throw away the juice.
- In a pan, take wheat flour, squeezed radish, chopped green chillies, red chilli powder, salt, coriander powder, and oil.
- Prepare a dough with all the above ingredients.
- Start preparing balls out of dough.
- Take one ball at a time, start preparing thepla from the dough.
- Heat a non-stick pan/tawa. Keep it on high flame.
- When thepla is cooked partially from one side flip it on another side.
- At this stage spread oil/ghee/butter on the partially cooked side. Flip again and cook it fully this time.
- Spread oil/ghee/butter on the other side too and let the thepla cook till dark brown small spots start appearing on it.
- Prepare all the remaining theplas like this.
- Serve it hot with pickle/ koshimbir / plain curd / green chutney/ tomato chutney.