Hi foodies ! Today’s recipe is ‘Methi Thepla’. Thepla are Gujarati flatbread made from fenugreek leaves, different types of flours and few Indian spices. Balanced proportions of all the main ingredients gives a healthy snack or meal. Use fresh fenugreek leaves for this recipe. You can serve thepla as snack or as a full meal along with green chutney or plain curd / koshimbir or ketchup or any chutney of your choice.
For more paratha recipe, you can check Paneer Baida Roti (cottage cheese & egg parcel) , Jhatpat ratlami sev paratha (sev stuffed paratha) , Lachha Paratha (Warqi Paratha, Layered Paratha) , Gobhi Da Paratha , Butter Naan (how to prepare naan at home) .
For chutney recipes, you can check Mirchi Thecha (maharashtrian green chilli garlic chutney) , Sweet n Spicy Tomato Chutney (Tamatar chutney) , Chilli Garlic Sauce (Homemade) , Chili garlic chutney (Sabut Lal mirch aur lahsun chutney) .
You can share your re-creation of this recipe or any other recipe from Rasoi Recipe. You can share it on Facebook page or directly mail it to me on firstname.lastname@example.org . I would love to hear from you guys. If you have any suggestions or if you want to share your views or appreciation, you can leave your message in the comment section below.
Duration: 10 mins (prep time) + 30 mins (cook time) = 40 mins (Total time)
Ingredients for Methi Thepla
|Fenugreek leaves/ Methi|
|Wheat flour/Atta||500 gms|
|Maize flour/Makka atta||1 cup or 100 gms|
|Gram flour/Besan||1 cup|
|Salt||1 Tbsp as per taste|
|Red chilli powder||1/2 tsp or as per taste|
|Coriander powder||2 tsp|
|Green chilli-garlic-ginger paste||15 (chillies)+1 pod garlic+1/2" ginger|
|Carrom seeds/ajwain||1/2 tsp|
|Cumin seeds/Jeera||1 tsp|
|Sugar (optional)||1 tsp|
|Oil for dough||1/2 cup|
|Oil||for shallow frying|
|Sesame seeds||1 tsp|
|Coriander leaves (chopped)||2 Tbsp|
Procedure for Methi Thepla
- Wash and cut methi/ fenugreek leaves.
- In a large vessel take wheat flour, gram flour, maize flour, oil, salt, fennel seeds, carrom seeds/ajwain, cumin seeds, asafoetida, red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric, curd, sugar and green chilly ginger garlic paste.
- Add chopped fenugreek leaves in the above mix.
- Knead a dough.
- For thepla, divide dough in equal size balls.
- Now take one ball at time and start preparing small dough circle.
- Dust it with wheat flour and start rolling again.
- Heat a skillet/tava and place the thepla on it. Keep it on high flame.
- When thepla is cooked partially from one side flip it on other side.
- At this stage spread oil/ghee/butter on partially cooked side. Flip again and cook it fully this time.
- Spread oil/ghee/butter on the other side too and let the thepla cook till dark brown small spots starts appearing on it.
- Prepare all the remaining theplas like this.
- Serve it hot with koshimbir / plain curd / green chutney/ tomato chutney.