Today’s recipe is ‘Methi Matar Malai’. It is a popular north dish which you will find in almost all north Indian restaurants. This recipe is delicious and very rich as its gravy is made from malai (heavy cream) and cashew nut paste. It can be served as a main course dish for special occasions. Winter is the perfect time to enjoy this dish, as during winters you will get fenugreek leaves and green peas easily in the market. Serve it with naan or hot chapati or lachha paratha.
Methi Matar Malai recipe requires following main ingredients – Methi (fenugreek leaves), Matar (green peas), malai (heavy cream), boiled onion paste, cashew nut paste, and few spices. Gravy of this dish is very smooth and creamy. For this recipe, you will need to blanch green peas and methi.
You can share your re-creation of this recipe or any other recipe from Rasoi Recipe on our Facebook page or directly mail it to me on firstname.lastname@example.org . I would love to hear from you guys. If you have any suggestions or if you want to share your views or appreciation, you can leave your message in the comment section below. ?
Duration: 40 mins (preparation time) + 20 mins (cook time)
Ingredients for Methi Matar Malai
|Fenugreek leaves/Methi||1 bunch/250 gms|
|Gren peas||1 cup|
|Boiled onion paste||1/2 cup|
|Cashew nut paste||1/4 cup|
|Cream / Malai||1/2 cup|
|Green chilli-ginger-garlic paste||2 tsp|
|Black peppercorn powder||1/2 tsp or as per taste|
|Salt||as per taste|
|Gram flour / besan||1 Tbsp|
|Cumin seeds||1 tsp|
Method for Methi Matar Malai
- Chop fenugreek leaves. Wash them properly two-three times at least.
- In a deep vessel boil water.
- First, add green peas to the boiling water, let them cook.
- Next, when green peas are almost done, add fenugreek leaves and boil for 2-3 mins.
- Strain peas and methi and keep in ice cold water. (This way you can retain the fresh green colour of both peas and methi.)
- In the meantime also prepare smooth pastes of boiled onion and cashew nuts (keep cashew nuts in hot water for at least 20 mins to prepare paste) separately.
- In a pan, heat oil. Add bay leaves, cumin seeds (I forgot, in my recipe :P), cinnamon stick, and black peppercorn.
- Saute for a minute.
- Next, add green chilli-ginger-garlic paste to the pan. Saute for 2-3 mins or till raw smell fades away.
- Add boiled onion paste to the pan and cook for 2-3 mins.
- Now, add gram flour to the pan, cook for 3-4 mins more.
- Gram flour will give body to the gravy, add cashew nuts paste, sugar and black peppercorn powder in the pan. Cook well.
- Squeeze all water from the fenugreek leaves and green peas, add it to the pan.
- Mix well and add salt.
- Lastly, lower the flame and add cream.
- Mix well. Cook for a min.
- Serve hot!