Today’s recipe is ‘Medu Vada’. It is a popular south Indian dish. Medu vada is doughnut shaped fritters, which is soft from inside and crispy from outside. Vadas can be served as a breakfast or snack or starter. Vadas are generally eaten along with chutney or sambhar.
For medu vada recipe, you will need – urad dal, curry leaves, green chilies, salt, asafoetida, and ginger. For the preparation of vada, urad dal is soaked for at least two hours, then dal is ground to a smooth paste or batter. The batter is then flavored with green chilies, curry leaves, salt, ginger, asafoetida. You can also add chopped onion, chopped coconut or black peppercorn to flavor the vadas.
For more south Indian recipes you can check – Neer Dosa (Rice Crêpe – South India Cuisine), Rava Dosa (Semolina Pancake/Crepe), Instant Masala Rava Idli (with coconut chutney), Tomato Onion Chutney | Dosa Chutney
You can share your re-creation of this recipe or any other recipe from Rasoi Recipe. You can share it on Facebook page or directly email it to me on firstname.lastname@example.org . I would love to hear from you guys. If you have any suggestions or if you want to share your views or appreciation, you can leave your message in the comment section below.
Duration: 2 hours (soaking time) + 40 mins (preparation time + cooking time)
Ingredients for Medu Vada
|Urad Dal||1 cup|
|Green chili (finely chopped)||1 (large) or as per taste|
|Ginger (finely chopped)||1"|
|Curry leaves (finely chopped)||1 sprig|
|Salt||1/2 tsp or as per taste|
|Oil||for deep frying|
|Rice flour||2 Tsp|
|Water||only if required for batter preparation.|
Method for Medu Vada
- Wash and soak urad dal for at least two hours.
- After two hours, strain water.
- Prepare a smooth paste of urad dal.
- Beat the batter at least for five minutes to give it a fluffy texture.
- Next add, chopped curry leaves, ginger, green chilies, salt and rice flour.
- Mix everything well.
- Heat oil in a deep pan-kadhai.
- Wet your palm and fingers, take 1 tbsp of batter in hand.
- Make a round ball.
- Flatten the ball, and make a hole in the center with your finger.
- Carefully drop the vada in the hot oil.
- Deep-fry vadas on medium flame. Fry all the vadas in small batches. Remove vadas on an absorbent paper.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney or sambhar!