Today’s recipe is ‘Malai Kofta’. Malai kofta is basically stuffed cottage cheese balls which are cooked in a delicious gravy. This is my auntie’s recipe, trust me when I say it can beat even restaurant made malai kofta. For this recipe, gravy is adjusted according to my family’s taste. There are many variations of malai kofta recipe, for this dish you just need to follow exactly same ratio as mentioned in the ingredients table. Malai kofta can be best served with hot chapati/roti/naan/lachcha paratha.
This recipe is for 10-12 koftas to serve 4 people. Malai kofta is a heavy main course, so plan your meal accordingly whether you want to have it for your dinner or lunch. You can find Lauki kofta recipe here.
For more paneer recipes, you can check Jhatpat Shahi Paneer (Quick royal cottage cheese) , Paneer Baida Roti (cottage cheese & egg parcel) , Paneer Masala (Cottage cheese in tomato gravy with peas and capsicum) Paneer Paratha (Cottage cheese stuffed paratha) .
You can share your re-creation of this recipe or any other recipe from Rasoi Recipe. You can share it on Facebook page or directly mail it to me on firstname.lastname@example.org . I would love to hear from you guys. If you have any suggestions or if you want to share your views or appreciation, you can leave your message in the comment section below.
Duration: 50 mins
Ingredients for Malai Kofta
Paneer 250 gms
All purpose flour (Maida) 2 tsp (levelled)
Baking soda a pinch
Salt 1/2 tsp
Oil for deep frying
Stuffing for kofta:
Almonds or cashew nuts 4
Coconut powder 2 tsp
Cardamom powder 1/4 tsp
For standard gravy:
Tomato 3 tomatoes
Onion 250 gms or 3 medium
Garlic 1 whole
Red chilli powder 1 tsp
Turmeric 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala 1/2 tsp
Salt 1 tsp or as per taste
Cashew nuts 5
Khus khus 2 tsp
Green cardamom 5
Charmagaz 1 tbsp
Oil 2 tbsp
Coriander leaves chopped 1 tsp
Cream 1 tsp
Procedure for Malai Kofta
- To prepare dough for kofta, crumble paneer with baking soda and all purpose flour (maida).
- Mix everything uniformly and make a crack less dough.
- Prepare the stuffing for kofta, make a coarse mix of everything that is listed under stuffing.
- Now make small equal sized stuffed kofta balls.
- Heat oil in a deep pan. Fry kofta on medium flame carefully.
- Remove kofta on a tissue paper. Keep it aside.
For standard tomato gravy:
- Make a paste of onion, ginger, and garlic, keep it aside.
- Prepare puree of tomatoes.
- Make powder of cashew nuts, almonds, charmagaz, khus khus, green cardamoms.
- Heat a deep pan and saute onion puree. Cook till raw smell goes away and puree changes its colour, it will take at least 20 minutes.
- Add tomato puree and dry fruits powder. Saute for 3-4 minutes more.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric, garam masala and salt. Mix well.
- Cook till oil separates, add half cup water let it boil. Your standard gravy is ready.
- Add koftas in the gravy. Garnish it with cream and coriander leaves.
- Malai Kofta is ready to serve!
Serve immediately, if you have added your koftas in the gravy. If not serving immediately do not add koftas, otherwise, your kofta starts melting.