Today’s recipe is ‘Khandvi’. It is a very popular snack recipe from Gujarat. It is one of my favourite snacks from the Gujarati cuisine. Khandvi is basically thin gram flour and yoghurt strips which are rolled and then tempered with green chillies and mustard seeds. It is also popular in Maharashtra, there it is known as Patuli and Dahivadi.
Khandvi recipe requires – besan (gram flour), yoghurt, turmeric, grated ginger, then it is tempered with mustard seeds, sesame seeds, and green chillies. You need lots of patience for khandvi, cook the batter perfectly and then spread it over a flat surface like steel or melamine plates or even granite platform tops. When gram flour sets perfectly and cools down, cut it into thin strips, roll the strips tightly. It is a healthy snack as it requires very less amount of oil, that too for tempering.
You can share your re-creation of this recipe or any other recipe from Rasoi Recipe. You can share it on Facebook page or directly mail it to me on firstname.lastname@example.org . I would love to hear from you guys. If you have any suggestions or if you want to share your views or appreciation, you can leave your message in the comment section below.
Duration: 45 mins
Ingredients for khandvi
|Salt||as per taste|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 tsp|
|Grated ginger||1/2 tsp|
|Mustard seeds/Rai||1 tsp|
|Sesame seeds||1/2 tsp|
|Green chillies||2 (finely chopped)|
|Coriander leaves (chopped)||for garnishing|
|Grated coconut||for garnishing|
Method for Khandvi
- In a bowl mix besan and yoghurt. Mix well, so that there are no lumps in the batter.
- Add water, turmeric, salt and grated ginger. Mix well.
- In a deep pan, cook batter.
- Keep on stirring continuously for 9-10 mins or till batter start separating from the pan. This is an indication that batter is cooked now.
- On a flat surface of your choice – steel plates or melamine tray or platform, spread batter in a thin layer.
- Let the batter cool down for 5 mins. Cut thin strips.
- Start rolling the strips very carefully. Keep it aside.
- In a pan, heat oil.
- Add mustard seeds and sesame seeds.
- Switch off the flame and add green chillies.
- Temper rolls.
- Garnish khandvi with chopped coriander and grated coconut.