Today’s recipe is ‘Kaleji Masala’. It is a spicy mutton liver dish. It is a semi-dry dish mutton preparation which is very common in an Indian household. During Eid festival, every Muslim family prepare it as one of the main course. Try this delicious authentic recipe at home.
While preparing kaleji masala, keep in mind few tips – 1) Soak liver pieces in vinegar for 30 mins. 2) Always add salt in the end. 3) Kaleji takes less time to cook as compared to other mutton dishes. 4) To avoid liver pieces from turning dark in colour, do not cover it while frying.
You can share your re-creation of this recipe or any other recipe from Rasoi Recipe. You can share it on the Facebook page or directly email it to me on email@example.com. I would love to hear from you guys. If you have any suggestions or if you want to share your views or appreciation, you can leave your message in the comment section below.
Duration: 1 Hr
Ingredients for Kaleji Masala
|Mutton liver + Lungs||500 gms|
|Onion (paste)||2 (medium size)|
|Tomato (paste)||2 (medium size)|
|Ginger garlic paste||3 tsps|
|Green chillies (slitted)||3-4 (medium, whole)|
|Red chilli powder||2 tsp or as per taste|
|Coriander powder||1 tsp|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 tsp|
|Black peppercorn powder||1/2 tsp|
|Roasted cumin powder||1 tsp|
|Salt||as per taste|
|Ginger||jullienes for garnishing|
|Coriander (chopped)||for garnishing|
Method for Kaleji Masala
- Wash and soak liver and lungs pieces in 1 tbsp of vinegar for 30 mins.
- In a pan, heat oil. Add cinnamon stick, cloves, black peppercorn and black cardamom. Fry for a min.
- Add onion paste, ginger and garlic paste to the pan. Cook till raw smell vanishes and pastes turn golden brown in colour.
- Now, add liver and lung pieces to the pan. Mix well.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala and dry roasted cumin powder to the pan. Mix well and cook until masalas are cooked.
- When the dry masalas are cooked, add tomato paste and green chillies. Mix well and cook until juice of tomato dries.
- When the juice dries, add 4 tbsp of yoghurt in the pan.
- Cook until liver pieces are completely cooked. If required, add water and cook by covering.
- Lastly, add salt, mix well cook for two-three mins more.
- Garnish kaleji masala with chopped coriander leaves and ginger juliennes.