Hash Browns or hashed browns are potato recipe. In which potatoes are shredded, rinsed and cooked with butter. It is a very popular breakfast or snack recipe. It is a hit potato recipe. Follow this recipe step by step to get that crispy and perfect hash browns.
For crispy hash browns, you can select any variety of potato, but the ones with thin skin potato are best ones. Potatoes which are thin-skinned contains less amount of starch. Starch does not allow browns to get crispy, that is why we keep them in ice-cold water.
Other potato snacks for you to try – Poha Cutlets (Flattened Rice Potato Crispy Cutlets) , Fried Potato Wedges (how to make potato wedges) , Chilli Garlic Potato Bites (kids special snack) , Aloo Namkeen (Spicy Potato Strips) , Aloo Vada (Potato dumpling/ Batata vada) , Dilli Style Aloo Chaat (Tangy potatoes) , Aloo Egg Pattice (potato egg pattice)
You can share your re-creation of this recipe or any other recipe from Rasoi Recipe. You can share it on Facebook page or directly mail it to me on firstname.lastname@example.org . I would love to hear from you guys. If you have any suggestions or if you want to share your views or appreciation, you can leave your message in the comment section below.
Duration: 45 mins
Ingredients for Hash Browns
|Potato (any variety)||2 (large)|
|Red chilli flakes||1 tsp|
|Salt||1 tsp or as per taste|
|Black peppercorn (crushed)||1 tsp (optional, instead of red chilli flakes)|
|Butter / Oil||For shallow frying|
|Ice cold water||1 big bowl|
Method for Hash Browns
- Peel potatoes, grate them carefully.
- Keep grated potatoes in ice-cold water for at least 10-15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, strain shredded potatoes nicely first with the help of strainer then with the help of a muslin cloth. (For this recipe, you need perfectly dried potato threads) After drying with the help of cloth, let it air dry for 5 mins.
- After 5 mins, in a mixing bowl, mix shredded potato threads, salt, red chilli flakes/crushed black peppercorn.
- Next, heat oil / butter in a deep pan.
- Now start preparing hash browns of your desired size, I prepared mine in two batches, three small hash browns in one batch.
- Shallow fry for at least 10-15 minutes on low-medium heat on one side, without stirring or flipping hash brown.
- Then after 10-15 mins, flip it on other side. Fry again on low-medium heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve immediately with ketchup.