Happy Monday everyone! Today’s recipe is ‘Falafel’. This recipe is so popular everywhere now that, it really needs no introduction. For those who are still not aware of this dish, falafel is a middle eastern dish which is served with pita bread which acts as a wrap or pocket. It can be served as an appetizer, with tahini-based sauce or any spicy sauce of your choice . You can have this dish for iftar with or without pita bread.
Falafel was so popular at one time that McDonald used to serve McFalafel in some countries. Falafel is a very popular vegan and vegetarian street food. Main ingredients for this dish is chickpeas or fava beans. Egyptian version of this dish uses fava beans. We are going to use cooked chickpeas for our recipe, let’s get started…
You can share your re-creation of this recipe or any other recipe from Rasoi Recipe on our Facebook page or directly mail it to me on email@example.com . I would love to hear from you guys. 🙂
Duration: 30-40 minutes
Ingredients for falafel
Chickpeas/chole (cooked) 2 cups
Coriander leaves (chopped) 1/2 cup
Garlic 2 -4 cloves (large)
Green chillies 3-4 nos.
Maida/ All purpose flour 3 tbsp
Coriander powder 1 tsp
Oil for frying
Ground cumin 1 tsp
Onion (chopped) 1 no.
Ground black pepper 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Olive oil/vegetable oil 3 tbsp
Procedure/method for falafel
- Soak chickpeas for at least 8 hours. Pressure cook till tender.
- Now in food processor, grind the chickpeas with all the other ingredients in a coarse paste, by keep adding oil at regular intervals. Do not use water to grind all the ingredients.
- Make small rounds of equal size with the mixture. Flatten all the chickpeas mixture balls in patty shape in between your palms.
- Heat oil in a frying pan/kadhai/wok.
- Deep fry the patties on high flame until golden brown. Do not flip patties as they are very soft and may split.
- Transfer falafel on a paper napkin lined plate.
- Serve hot and enjoy Falafel !
- You can make this dish with uncooked chickpeas also, in that case do not add maida (all-purpose flour) in the above recipe.
- If you have parsley at home you can add that too, reduce coriander leaves quantity to half and add equal quantity of parsley.