Today’s recipe is ‘Dal Tadka’. Dal tadka is one of my favourite dal recipes. It is basically cooked lentil which is tempered twice. The first temper is of spices, onion and tomatoes, and the second temper is of ghee and few spices. It can be served with jeera rice or steamed rice or tandoori roti or chapati at home. Enjoy it as a main course dish for lunch or dinner.
For this recipe, you will need – toor dal, onion, tomato, green chilli, ginger, ghee, oil, and few spices which are easily available in our kitchen. Some people use two or more lentils for their recipe, I am using only toor dal in my recipe. You can use two or three lentils (e.g. masoor dal or chana dal) combination also for your recipe.
For more dal recipes, check – Moong Dal Samosa (Rajasthani special samosa recipe), Dal Makhani (kidney beans and whole black lentils rich gravy), Masala Urad Dal Recipe (Split Black Gram Lentil Recipe), Moong Dal Chilla (Green Gram Lentil Pancakes), Veg Haleem (Soya Haleem / Daleem/ Khichda)
You can share your re-creation of this recipe or any other recipe from Rasoi Recipe. You can share it on the Facebook page or directly email it to me on email@example.com. I would love to hear from you guys. If you have any suggestions or if you want to share your views or appreciation, you can leave your message in the comment section below.
Duration: 40 mins
Ingredients for Dal Tadka
|Toor dal||1 cup|
|Water||as required to cook lentil|
|Onion (chopped)||1 (medium)|
|Tomato (chopped)||1 (medium)|
|Green chillies (chopped)||3 (medium)|
|Salt||as per taste|
|Red chilli powder||1 tsp or as per taste (for tempering)|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 tsp for cooking
1/2 tp for tempering
|Coriander powder||1 tsp|
|Roasted cumin powder||1 tsp|
|Ginger (chopped finely)||1/2" piece|
|Whole red chillies (dry)||3-4|
|Cumin seeds||1/2 tsp each for both temper|
|Asafoetida/hing||a pinch or 1/8 tsp|
|Mustard seeds||1/2 tsp each for both temper|
|Coriander leaves (chopped)||2 tbsps for garnishing|
Method for Dal Tadka
- Wash toor dal nicely. Keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker take sufficient water.
- Add turmeric and salt to the water. Let water starts boiling.
- In the boiling water, add toor dal. Close the lid and cook for 3-4 whistles or until your dal is tender. (Note: Duration of cooking dal depends upon the variety of your dal and water of your area.)
- Let the pressure drop on its own. Open the lid and check whether lentil is cooked perfectly or not.
- If dal is cooked perfectly, then add water if no water is left in the cooker and let it simmer for few minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the first temper. Heat oil in a deep pan.
- Add asafoetida, cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Let them crackle.
- When seeds start crackling, add chopped onion and ginger in the pan. Saute for few seconds and add chopped green chillies.
- Next, add tomatoes when onion turns golden brown in colour.
- In the tomato and onion mix, add red chilli powder, coriander powder, roasted cumin powder, and turmeric powder. Cook everything till masalas are cooked.
- Temper the dal in the pressure cooker, mix well.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Take dal in the serving dish/bowl.
- Heat ghee in a pan for the last temper.
- In the ghee add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and whole dried red chillies.
- Switch off the flame and add red chilli powder. Mix well.
- Temper the dal.
- Garnish with coriander and temper. Dal Tadka is ready!