Today’s recipe is ‘Crispy Tilapia Fish Fry’. This is my first fish recipe on the blog. It is an easy starter dish. You can choose any fish variety for this recipe, I have used tilapia fish. Enjoy fish fry with any chutney of your choice along with onion and lemon. Fish fry can also be served as side dish with dal rice or chapati.
Tilapia fish fry recipe requires – tilapia fish pieces, curd, gram flour, ginger-garlic paste, and few spices. Whenever you fry fish, keep fish pieces in buttermilk overnight, this way you can reduce the smell of fish and fish pieces will remain juicy from inside.
For more non-veg recipes, you can check – Bhuna Keema Recipe | Minced Meat Recipe, Keeme Ke Samose | Minced Meat Samosa Recipe, Prawn Fry (tandoori flavoured shrimp), Prawn Curry / Shrimp Masala (Seafood recipe), Chicken Pulao / Chicken Pilaf (How to make chicken pulao), Kebab Recipe (from leftover mutton and rice)
You can share your re-creation of this recipe or any other recipe from Rasoi Recipe. You can share it on the Facebook page or directly email it to me on email@example.com. I would love to hear from you guys. If you have any suggestions or if you want to share your views or appreciation, you can leave your message in the comment section below.
Duration: 30 mins (prep time) + 30 mins (cook time)
Ingredients for Crispy Tilapia Fish Fry
|Tilapia Fish||1 Kg|
|Oil||for shallow frying|
|Red chilli powder||1 tsp or as per taste|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 tsp|
|Salt||as per taste|
|Coriander powder||1 tsp|
|Ginger-garlic-green chilli paste||2 tsp (2" ginger, 6-7 garlic colves, 4-5 medium green chillies)|
|Chaat masala||1 tsp|
|Amchur powder/dry mango powder||1 tsp|
|Tandoori masala/biryani masala (whichever is available)||1 tsp|
|Kasuri methi/ dry fenugreek leaves||2 tsp|
|For coating: |
Gram flour mix
|Gram flour (4-5 Tbsp) + carrom seeds/ajwain 1/2 tsp+red chilli powder(as per taste)+salt (as per taste)+turmeric powder (1/4 tsp)|
|Lemon juice||2 tsp|
Method for Crispy Tilapia Fish Fry
- Clean fish properly.
- Cut fish in the desired shape. (You can get it cut when you purchase if you do not have a knife at home to cut fish.)
- Now pour buttermilk on the fish pieces. Keep it covered overnight.
- Throw away the liquid which is left after soaking fish in the buttermilk.
- Next step is marination, add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt, coriander powder, ginger-garlic-green chilli paste, lemon juice, chaat masala, biryani masala, kasoori methi and amchur powder. Mix well and coat each fish piece nicely. keep aside for marination for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Next step is to make coating, mix gram flour, carom seeds, salt, and red chilli powder. (if you add water to this mix and prepare a batter, you can prepare Amritsari fish fry in this way.)
- Coat each piece well.
- Next step is up to you, whether to deep fry or shallow fry.
- In a pan, heat oil.
- Start frying fish pieces until crispy and nicely cooked from all the sides.
- Remove all the pieces on an absorbent paper.
- Garnish fish fry with mint leaves, lemon wedge and onion slices.