Chicken Pulao is a dish in which rice is cooked in seasoned chicken broth. Chicken Pulao can be served during special occasion like festivals or parties and regular lunch or dinner meal. Pulao can also be called as pilaf or pulav. It is a rich and delicious chicken and rice combination.
Pulao is different from biryani. For pulao, rice and meat or chicken are stirred together, but in case of biryani, rice and chicken or meat are layered during cooking. Serve your pulao with onion and tomato raita or sprinkle lemon juice for that tangy flavour.
For more rice recipes check Neer Dosa (Rice Crêpe – South India Cuisine) , Phirni (Rose flavoured Indian rice pudding) , Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani (My mother’s recipe) , Chana Dal Pulao (kabuli), Aloo Matar Pulao (Green Peas Potato Pulao) .
You can share your re-creation of this recipe or any other recipe from Rasoi Recipe. You can share it on Facebook page or directly mail it to me on firstname.lastname@example.org . I would love to hear from you guys. If you have any suggestions or if you want to share your views or appreciation, you can leave your message in the comment section below.
Duration: 50 mins
Ingredients for Chicken Pulao
|Green chilli||16 (medium)|
|Garlic paste||2 tbsp or 100 gm|
|Ginger (grated)||2 tbsp|
|Whole dried red chilli||7-8|
|Whole dried spices||8-10 black peppercorn + 6-8 cloves+4-5 Black cardamom+1-2 star anise+3-4 bay leaves+1" cinamon+1/2 tsp shah jeera(black cumin seeds)|
|Red chilli powder||2 tsp|
|Coriander powder||6 tsp|
|Biryani masala||2 tsp|
|Mint leaves||2 tbsp|
|Water||1:2 ratio (rice:water) (depending upon rice variety)|
|Curd||250 gms or 1 cup|
|Lemon juice||2 tsp|
Method fo Chicken Pulao
- Wash and soak rice (if necessary, according to variety of rice you are using).
- In a large and thick bottomed vessel heat oil. Add whole spices mix. Stir fry for few seconds.
- Add onions and green chillies. Fry for few minutes.
- Add chicken pieces, garlic paste and whole dried red chillies. Mix well.
- Now add grated ginger, mix well and cook for few more minutes.
- Next add curd, chopped tomatoes and coriander powder in the vessel.
- Now add mint leaves and remaining spices (salt, red chilli powder and biryani powder) in the chicken. Mix well.
- Cook chicken till oil separates and water dries up.
- When oil separates, add water, cover the vessel, cook till water starts boiling.
- Add rice and lemon juice in the chicken broth, cover and cook till pulao is cooked and broth is absorbed.
- Serve hot chicken pulao with onion tomato raita or lemon wedges!