Hi everyone ! Hope you all are doing great. Today’s recipe is ‘Kabuli | Chana Dal Pulao’, other name for this dish is kabuli. Chana dal pulao is a effortless recipe. This pulao is nice change from chicken/meat/vegetable pulao. It will bring a change of taste. Do give it a try, it is worth trying. So, let us get started with recipe…
Duration: 30 mins
Ingredients for chana dal pulao (kabuli)
Chana dal 250 gms
Rice 500 gms
Tomatoes chopped 2 nos.
Green chillies 10 nos.
Onion Chopped 4 medium size
Red chilli powder 1 tsp
Salt as per taste
Coriander powder 2 tsp
Black peppercorn 5-6
Cinnamon stick 2″
Ginger garlic paste 4 tsp
Black cardamom 1 no.
Curry leaves 8-10
Bay leaves 2 nos.
Oil 3 tbsp
Method for Chana Dal Pulao
- Wash chana dal thoroughly and boil it along with salt and 2 tsp ginger garlic paste.
- If you are cooking it in a pressure cooker like me, then cook it for 3 whistles.
- Check whether chana dal is tender and yet separate from each other or not. Strain chana dal and keep it aside. Do not throw away excess water in which chana dal is cooked. You can use this water for cooking rice.
- In the pressure cooker, heat oil and add chopped onion, ginger garlic paste, cloves, black cardamom, bay leaves, black peppercorn and cinnamon stick. Cook till onions are nicely done and turn translucent in color.
- Add green chillies and curry leaves cook for few minutes.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and all the dry masalas. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- In the above mix add chana dal and cook for few minutes, add water (water quantity you want here is same as we need for cooking plain rice i.e. double the quantity of rice and dal mix) and bring it to boil. In the meanwhile, wash rice thoroughly.
- When water starts boiling, add rice and close the lid of cooker. Cook for two whistles, let pressure drop.
- Your kabuli is ready to serve ! Serve it with curd/green chutney/chilli garlic chutney .
“I am a better person when I have less on my plate.”
― Elizabeth Gilbert,