Baingan Bhaja is a dish from one of my favorite cuisine i.e. Bengali cuisine. Other name for Baingan Bhaja in Bengali is begun bhaja. Personally I love Bengali cuisine for its simple and light spices choices. Do try this recipe if you love simple yet delicious flavours. This dish can be served as a side dish along with dal rice/chapati.
For this recipe you need egg-plant which we use for baingan bharta. Bharta baingan are the biggest in size among all the variety of egg plants. I have allergy from all the other varieties of egg plants except this one variety, that is why I can only include this variety in my diet. There are many recipes with many versions available for this dish.
In this recipe, you need baingan (egg-plant), gram flour, rice flour, dry mango powder and basic spices. Shallow fry or pan fry slices in either mustard oil or any vegetable oil.
You can share your re-creation of this recipe or any other recipe from Rasoi Recipe. You can share it on Facebook page or directly mail it to me on firstname.lastname@example.org . I would love to hear from you guys. If you have any suggestions or if you want to share your views or appreciation, you can leave your message in the comment section below.
Duration: 10 minutes (prep time) + 20 mins (cook time) = 30 mins
Ingredients for Baingan Bhaja
|Baingan / Brinjals / Egg plant||2 nos.|
|Gram flour / Besan||3 tbsp|
|Rice Flour||1 tbsp|
|Salt||1 tsp or as per taste|
|Red chilli powder||1 tsp or as per taste|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 tsp|
|Dry mango powder||1/2 tsp|
|Vegetable Oil / Mustard oil||for shallow frying|
Method for Baingan Bhaja
- In a bowl, add gram flour, rice flour, red chilli powder, dry mango powder, turmeric powder, and salt.
- Mix all the dry ingredients well.
- Wash and slice baingan / egg plants in half-inch thickness. (Tip: If you are cutting egg-plant in advance, please keep them in water as brinjals discolors quickly.)
- Coat all the slices well.
- Heat a pan, start shallow frying all the slices.
- Fry from both the sides till crisp and golden brown in color.
- Keep the slices to drain on the kitchen towel.
- Serve Baingan Bhaja hot with dal rice or chapati or enjoy with ketchup/chutney as a snack.
Shopping tip for egg plants :